Friday, January 15, 2010

Idiota

While last night was slow, the icing on a rather disappointing night was summed up with a rant from a very bald and gay Italian.

I have no qualms of one's sexuality, in fact many of my regulars are of the pink currency, but this was quite a different scenario completely.

So three of them came, Bald Italian, British and a local. They ordered their starters and wanted them out before the mains were served. No problem. So out came their starters and I proceeded to push out their mains. Their order was two mains(Pineapple Fried Rice & Pad Thai Prawns) to be shared. Fine, no problem.

So the first, Pad Thai came flying out. And while the chef was preparing their second main, the first was sent back to be reheated. It was still hot! About plus minus seven minutes, their second was done and both brought out to be served. Bald Italian was fuming. British said 'too late, take it back'. Bald Italian stood up and confronted me, saying 'I asked you to bring both mains out at the same time.'

'This is unacceptable, you should have the facilities to keep the food warm. I used to be a chef' Bald Italian retorted.

And he wouldn't allow me to explain. Every time I tried he kept cutting me off. Then he went on about how the food at my parent's restaurant next door is great but doesn't come out in the order he wanted it to. I held myself back. 'This isn't fine western dining, its Thai'. 'A chef? Where? At KFC? Were a few things I had at the back of my tongue.

Amy said I handled it well. She told me she would have manhandled Bald Italian and threw him out on his culo. I mean I was pissed. The night was already slow, coupled with an unreasonable person's demand without at least understanding the cultures of one's cuisine. And if you really were a chef, you'd know how to differentiate.

Still I kept my cool even with his last statement, 'Thank you for ruining my evening' before storming out. I would have lost the plot if he wasn't gonna stop. His partner, the petite local chap who paid the bill, told us this is how Bald Italian is, felt bad and was apologetic.

Well ladies and gentlemen, this is the service industry for you. Sometimes, ya just have to take it with a pinch of salt.....*inhales deeply*

I almost ran out to say 'There's a McDonald's down the road'

2 comments:

UnkaLeong said...

Amy sounds like a keeper ;) As Dad always says, "it takes all sorts to make the world" Kudos to you on holding your tongue. I would have beat the @#$# out of baldie!

Jem said...

Unka, its frustrating when faced with this sorta situation, like The Soprano's "What you gonna do?"

Your Dad is a wise man indeed.

Amy? Yes she is (: