Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Flogger

These days, there are floggers everywhere. I think anyone can do it because everyone has a point and shoot, broadband, and of course, filling their stomachs. My gripe however, is being impartial or a suitable judge.

This post isn't about anyone writing anything bad about my restaurant, but its about restaurants and eateries I tried out myself after reading favorable reviews. Though the saying 'One man's meat is another man's poison' rings true in relation to said topic but truthfully how can there be such a drastic difference of taste amongst us, Malaysians?

I visited each of these establishments with the minutest of expectations because we all know high expectations yield great disappointments. So recently I visited this ghetto-like Thai eatery (I'm not comparing in any way to my own but in a way proper Thai food should be) located along a jetty. I'm sure most of you know which I'm talking about.

I ordered what a famous flogger wrote as "the mouthwatering taste is just fabulous" for the clear soup Tom Yum Seafood. I had the exact same soup and after one sip I was asking myself how does one define Thailand's most famous soup as fabulous when lime isn't one of the main ingredient included? Now said person can make or break an establishment with their review, but how does one write so favorably of a dish when instead of lime, was vinegar? How could vinegar be a substitute for lime in Tom Yum?

(That is blasphemy in Thai culinary cooking!)

Other dishes didn't measure up to the hype it received, and I felt it was a real miss of said flogger with the glowing review. I will continue trying out places said flogger has patronized and compare taste buds. Makes me feel we need more Simon Cowell-type floggers and less of the Paula Abdul ones.

Was it any wonder why she got the chop?






2 comments:

UnkaLeong said...

Vinegar? Jing ror? Eeew! Ah well, they will have 2 less customers from now on ;)

Jem said...

To be precise, 'nam som', bro!