Sunday, April 17, 2005

Shite day but great recovery

Today will go down as a rather unfortunate day for me. Since Shanne was away on business, I thought I'd be a considerate soul and pump his car with some petrol so it would save his missus the hassle of doing it on the way to work. All was fair just when I was turning off Western Rd, third in line when the first car stopped in the middle of the road! To my horror leaving me exposed to the oncoming traffic!! By the time I realized he'd stopped I crashed right into the second car. I was fuming because there wasn't any reason for him to do so. Then I realized he was from outstation(Kedah number plate, go figure) but still one doesn't stop in the middle of the road regardless of what state or country. What annoyed me was he looked back and saw what he caused and slowly drove off...Grrr!!!

Went down, apologized profusedly to the lady driver who happened to be taking her sick son to the clinic. She understood and pointed the finger at the outstation car in front of her for stopping suddenly. A quick call and her husband came to asses the damage(he being in the auto industry)and we both called our own mechanics about the price. An agreement was struck at RM240 for a broken tail light and he duly followed me to get the amount at a nearby cash dispenser. By this time, I was already running late to the restaurant, and not to mention having to tell dad I'd crashed my brother's car. I could picture his lecture already.
True enough as I was given a tongue lashing firstly for driving his car instead of mine, secondly for following too closely, and third for rushing.

Shanne was way cooler. He called from China when he'd heard about the news.
S:What happened?
J:Car stopped in the middle of the road and I couldn't jam the breaks in time
S:You ok?
J:Yeah
S:I've called the mechanic. He'll pick it up tomorrow in the morning. Don't worry.
J:Sorry...
S:No worries. Drive safe. You owe me one. See you when I get back.
J:Cheers

The damage could have been worst, but thankfully it wasn't. I rushed a bit but like many things in life it was unexpected. I was touched by his gesture. Anybody would after a tongue lashing from pops!! Guess that's pops way of showing his concern (=
From now on, I shall be keeping my distance from outstation cars...especially ones from Kedah!!

No comments: