Monday, May 30, 2005

Rekindling the past

Over the weekend, my mates and I dropped by a watering hole to convey our birthday wishes to a friend. I'd been there before. Lounge set up. Light music. Sofas' and comfy cushioned chairs of oak trimming. Various alcohol selections on menu. Perfect for business chats, family outings, close-knit group outings, and basically honeymoon period couples.

As I reached the second floor the music tempo was different from its usual fair. It was hard house blasting out speakers. There were at least 80 guests. He greeted us and we in turn wished him many happy returns. Then I realized it was a private party and immediately was transported back in time to my Bangkok Daze.

During my tenure as an artist-rep at a well known events management firm, I attended gazillions of private parties -drugs, alcohol, celebrities, gorgeous women, corporate bigwigs. Basically if you've been to one, you've been to all.

Why?

See, at one private party you'll meet the same people again and again at future private parties. These are the people who can't seem to stay away from the limelight.
I had the distinct pleasure to be introduced to Sonya Couling and Methinee Kingprayom -two of Thailand's best known supermodels.
I didn't last long at these parties cause I was already too knackered babysitting so-and-so who has come into the kingdom for a performance, but it looked exactly alike from my time in the city of angels.

I stood there smiling and saying hi to a few familiar faces for a maximum 20 minutes before bolting out of the noisy party. I've never seen a private party in full swing before on this island, so it was a real culture surprise in a way. But for that full twenty minutes, I was able to feel like I was back there again. How often is one able to relive the memory of the past even just as a bystander?

Rarely...

No comments: