Wednesday, May 25, 2005

"Ben-ja-paed"

We believe in Thai culture of males in their mid twenties i.e. 25, are entering a phase in their lives. That is what we call "Ben-ja-paed". In another words, it will be a tricky period of that individual.

Currently I am in that phase and I really need to watch my step. Last night I got into an accident with a motorbike -with no headlights on. Him hitting me was bad enough but as I helped him upright his fallen machine, stepped on and broke his fallen side mirror. Great. Whether its a myth or not, I just hope I won't be subjected to seven unfortunate years.

One of my cooks explained to me in detailed that its like a make or break phase, either you hit it right or fail and fail miserably. That is why it is a strong belief one should make merit from time to time at temples. Then again, its up to individuals to believe this or not but in situation where this heritage is part of me, I'll just be very careful about my moves for the year. 'Better safe than sorry'.

No comments: