Monday, November 08, 2004

A toast to long lost friends

Writing this blog with a thumping headache, I had gone out for drinks with a long lost friend back in my tennis playing days last night. Ming Tong, now known as Kenneth was a close friend during my teen years. Although we were buddies and coached by the same legend, we were adversaries on court. It was difficult having to play him in tournaments coz he was the type to take things personally and I dreaded at one tournament during the summer in '96. The first few games were tight with each of us holding serve, then he began to crumble under his own anger..He lost his head and the match. Difficult part? Shaking hands. The six footer looked away in disgust when approached to shake mine and didn't speak a word in the changing room.
This was a guy well known for his temperament and I hadn't seen him in years. Of all places, I bumped into him at KLCC's Burberry while holidaying with Michelle! After turning him down a number of times, I decided to take up Kenneth's offer. The night began slowly as we reminisce our younger days over a few beers. After that we headed over to Glo and had a bottle of hard liquor. Went unannounced and I had to meet other long lost friends, and so did Kenneth. A brother's friend was having his birthday party there and we ended up with a triumvirate drinking bash! I could vaguely remember what happened, but I remembered jumping, dancing, flirting with friends hahaha..But by 3am, Kenneth had to 'assist' me out of the club and into his car. Along the way, I definitely remember leaving a trail of various concocted alcoholic drinks while hanging out the passenger seat.
Even as I now suffer from last nights escapade, I'm glad I decided to take up Kenneth's offer. The memories of the 'Handshake' was all but a distant memory and nothing but a friendship renewed.

No comments: