Saturday, November 06, 2004

"The Grudge"

I was convinced to go watch 'The Grudge' by Garrick together with Krish and Ally. I wasn't a big fan of ghost movies and I'd heard this was really scary. Not wanting to let them know I'd squeal like a little girl, I kept my composure by putting the palm of my hand to my cheek and every horror scene that came along I'd put my index finger to my eye and wince the other.
'The Grudge' is the english version of 'Ju On', the Japanese ghost story that became a hit or should I say hair raiser around Asia. I'd seen..Ok, with the index finger in one eye and wincing the other, of the first and second part of this horror epic. I remember my date having to hold up her hand for me with every heart stopping moment. Its like me being the girl screaming and leaning my head over on her shoulder as she comforts me. Incidentally, she found it 'cute'...
The movie was originally about a man who murders his wife and son before taking his own life after he found out she had a major obsession for an American lecturer at a Japanese university. Those who had a direct contact with the house would either disappear, or die mysteriously.
As I winced through the movie, I felt the scary bits were actually the sound effects more than the optical effects. This time I didn't need to lean on anyone's shoulders *grin*

No comments: