Thursday, November 25, 2004

Loy Krathong

November full moon shines,
Loy Krathong, Loy Krathong,
and the water's high in the river and local klong,
Loy Loy Krathong, Loy Loy Krathong,
Loy Krathong is here and everybody's full of cheer,
We're together at the klong,
Each one with his krathong,
As we push away we pray,
We can see a better day.

'Loy Krathong' - To float a lotus shaped vessel. It is a tradition for thais to celebrate this festivity by placing a candle, three joss-sticks, some flowers and coins in the vessel before saying a wish and a prayer, and setting it onto the water. We believe that it wads away sins and bad luck. Time to start the coming new year to be joyful, and happy as the sufferings are floated away.

I always attended Loy Krathong while living in Bangkok, and I must say its a really amazing celebration. Its one of those festivities one has to be present to witness and understand its true beauty. I remember since my university days on the occasion, prior plans would be made amongst friends and we'd be on our way to float them straight after classes.

It is popular to float them with your significant other. Both holding onto the lotus vessel, making a wish before setting it free. It made me feel good after saying my prayers and seeing my Krathong slowly float out to the river. Imagine the vessels being floated down the river, under a clear night's sky with the full moon shinning brightly making the waters bounce with its reflections - Makes me miss it especially this time of year. I'm just glad my time there did not go to waste as I learned so much and experienced the culture so rich I'm sure others will be envious of.

To all readers, wishing you a Happy Loy Krathong. Hoping all your bad luck will be cast away and ushering in a new era of positive notes. May you achieve success in your career, a blossoming love and a fulfilment of goals to the highest standard.

Happy Loy Krathong to my Thai friends & family -May, Dump, Kie, Tarn, N'Orn, Wa, Boy, Aey, Emma, Toto, Neung, Teddy, Jung, Joe, and O.

No comments: