Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Mortal beings

These days, my relationship with dad has gained a rather significant leap. During my younger days, I'd always be the one arguing how I saw things my way. Basically all your stubborn elements found during adolescence. Looking at myself back then and realizing how much of a pain I was and, am quite pleased not to be giving him anymore grief...Or am I?

Last night I attended my senior's dad's funeral, and those memories flashed across me during the recital by monks of the Pali sanskrit. Peng was my senior back in university where we colleagues of the uni tennis team. Sadly for him, his dad met with an unfortunate demise by a fall in the bathroom. The partners and former team mates turned up to show our respects and to give him moral support.


I thought of dad the entire duration of the funeral. I remembered him telling me everyone dies, including him and I cried profusedly. I just couldn't imagine how life would be without him and of course, mum. He said even doctors die too, and I remember saying "No way!"(Used to think doctors were only 2nd to god). I mean how could a person who treats the sick, die?

Many a times we think we know it all, because we're living in the 21st century loaded with modern mentality, information and attitude, but its all a facade really. No one knows better than our parents, they've been there, done that and they've certainly been through what we're just about to face. Their invaluable experience is what has guided them to their successes today. Doesn't hurt to listen, as I'm sure our parents only want the best for us.
Not all parents show it, but they have their own special way of expressing their love for us.

I think we as a human race, take everything for granted. Don't. You may never have the chance to show your gratitude to your own flesh and blood again. From a distance tonight, I could see Peng's mind wander about. I can bet he was thinking of the good and bad times he shared with his dad, and how he would never have the chance to again.

Deepest condolences, bro. Be strong, you'll make your dad proud when you're up there in the sky. Good luck to you achieving your wings. We're here for you always.

No comments: