Sunday, February 12, 2006

Be a man?

Been a busy February this time round, work has been 24/7 ever since coming back from Chinese New Year. Speaking of which, was not too bad a break although I had to be asked to tend to the restaurant during the busy festive period.
I just realized, I'm going to be 27 this year...I still can't believe I'm gonna be that figure at the end of the year. All I can say is, its all downhill from 22... Time just creeps up on you, you know? Saying that, both mumsy and dad are also getting on and soon to be hitting their sixties...

What can I say about them... They are my inspiration, without them I would never be able to have this day. Time and time again, they have thrown their support behind me and given invaluable advice. I'm really a blessed person. I've been brought up with the close guidance of mum in the etiquette department, all manners go through her inspection...Even these days! Dad gives me advice on how to become a man, to slog it out, never give up and always maintain an ethical work code. He never ceases to give me business advice, which have come in handy. Basically, I've adopted the softer side from mumsy and the no-nonsense approach from dad.

Anyways, coming back to being 27, suddenly a rush of objectives come to mind. Gotta make sure my goals are achieved for 2006 so my plans can trigger a chain reaction of events I've earmarked. Tell you something...Surprising. The other night at dinner, we were sat down having a nice meal together when a toast was proposed by dad, wishing all the very best for his granddaughter, my niece's safe arrival come April, the continuous success of my business and...Also a suitable time for me to TIE THE KNOT. I literally choked. I'd never expected him to tell me to settle down this early. Ok, my brother settled down at 28 and dad thought he could have waited a couple more years and now he wants me to settle down at 27-28... I looked at my brother, my heavily pregnant sister in-law, and mumsy dearest with a shocked expression, and guess what? So were they!

Truth be told, I'd love to settle down, but this is just so unexpected because its coming from dad. All the more, it is quite encouraging as it signals my readiness as, a man from his point of view. Now that the light is green, the potential candidates however, aren't as bright as the prospects of heading into holy matrimony. I do have a soul mate, I know she's the one but time doesn't seem to be on our side, while the current cluth of ladies I'm dating DO NOT meet the requirements of the title Mrs. Many times, I crave having someone waiting at home when I get back from work. To be brutally honest, I've had fun, been there, done that and had enough of. Its Bangkok for god's sakes, all the best parties and night activities are here.

But I've decided to put that thought aside for now. So many goals to achieve this year that leaves me hardly any time to myself. Thanks dad, that was really an unexpected move from you, but nevertheless a touching one. If it does happen, then it'll happen. I shan't go out of my way to prove it, as they say... 'Good things come to those who wait'.

No comments: