Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Happy 25th Birthday

After an absence of 8 years, I finally celebrated my birthday back home. I would say it was the best birthday party I've ever had back here in Penang. The venue was Glo, our usual clubbing fare. VIP spot.

I had many close and distant friends on the guest list, but some missing were my KL-based mates, Bill and Varian. The notable absentee would have to be..my princess of smiles. She did, however made her presence felt.

My best mate, Garrick arrived late (what's new?) as he was supposed to be my cameraman for the night. Mysteriously, a cake appeared from nowhere. Turning to him, all he could muster was "open it and find out".


I was a bit puzzled, was the person actually gonna write "Happy Birthday Jeremy, from xxx"? By midnight, everyone had gathered around me and the cake was opened to reveal "To my dearest quater egg"! (Michelle's been calling me that coz she thinks I'm a lot older than her. Is 5 years that much?) I instantly knew that came from my princess and I searched the crowd franctically for a familiar face.

As I searched, I noticed a grin from Garrick and knew he had a hand in it (Garrick's significant other and my princess had become close as they pursue their degrees in London).

Apparently she had called up Secret Recipe from London to make sure they wrote exactly just that for me to laugh about. It certainly made my night as I recalled our conversation during the day when I said I wished she could be here on this special day and she said she would.

As the birthday song was nearing an end, I closed my eyes, made a wish and blew out the candles. Then the party went back to full swing.


I had invited my brother and his friends whom I occasionally have a drink with, and they just clobbered me drink after drink. The pictures will attest, that how decent and well behaved I was at the beginning of the night, became a total wreck after copious amounts of a man's second best friend!

Although I did reminisce about how much wilder it'll be back in my adopted city of Bangkok, I couldn't help but think, this tiny island rocks too.


My mates deserve a pat on the back for making this a very very successful birthday bash. Last but not least, my princess of smiles for 'being there' and making it, a more meaningful birthday joy!

Here's to thanking them for a memorable 25th birthday. I really love you guys!

No comments: