Thursday, October 28, 2004

Boys to men

As I jogged on the treadmill today, I got to thinking those around me while growing up. I wondered what happened to my friends back in primary school? Then secondary? Coming from a small town like Penang, it isn't that difficult to bump into one another. Yet where have they all gone.. Many have probably left for the brighter lights of KL or even overseas, but I did see one of my closest friends during my secondary education. It was at a club when I was heading to the men's room that I saw him. I immediately recognized him but it seemed he was in a fit of rage as his facial expression showed while in an argument with two young ladies.
That was as close to seeing anybody back from my secondary school. From a local set up, my parents moved me to an international school known to the locals as the 'School of Brats'. Most kids there were children of expatriates holding executive positions here on this island. So coming from a well-to-do background many of these kids have no utter respect for anyone but themselves, with the full backing of their parents. But growing up during my high school life was somewhat difficult. I found myself struggling to blend into the community there. Of course I had friends, and being the numero uno tennis player only made things easier. I was brought up to respect just about everything around me like money, the elderly, professionals such as our own teachers, seniors, and even my own peers.
I chose my friends carefully but even they had the 'I-don't-give-a-damned' attitude. I really didn't enjoy my high school years because I was 'different'. Whenever I did something wrong, I'd apologize, much to the disgust of others in my class. I was often the target of Caucasian seniors whenever I walked past them. I remember one time, as I walked down the corridor to get my bag, I noticed three seniors standing with my bag. I knew I was in for some running now! Being plump during then didn't help at all but still I gave chase against the better physique they were born with and after a short chase they decided to unzip my bag and strew all its contents on the floor as they ran..I followed the trail picking up my books, notes, stationary equipment till the last stop, my bag. Thinking back, I shooked my head. Some days were just so forgettable..Having go through that made me a stronger person eventhough admittedly, also a quick tempered attitude. I never got anymore flak from any other person...again.

No comments: